Thursday, July 24, 2008

We're Back From Camping. . .










Well, it started out well enough. We arrived at our campsite and helped set up a bug free tent, and our tent, etc. The kids played and we ate a potluck dinner that was so yummy.



SuperBoy and SuperDad looking for worms, bugs, and lizards, oh my. . .




Around 8 p.m., we headed to the Lodge, where a slideshow on Bug Babies was being held. Here is a picture from the lodge I found on someone else's site since I didn't take my camera. When we arrived, it was mainly full of adults, but we still brought in our collective brood of 11 children. We returned to the campsite with a few sprinkles and thunder rumbling in the distance, so we stored everything as best we could before the storm hit. One of the dads that stayed said a ranger had come by and said the storm that had gone around us just an hour or so earlier had 60 mile an hour winds and penny-size hail. Not what we needed to hear. He also said more storms were likely in the next couple of hours. The weather forecast earlier that day said severe storms possible. They were so right. Everytime the thunder rumbled, SuperGirl covered her ears with her hands and blanket wrapped around her. I think SuperBoy was mainly scared because she was.

Long story short, SuperDad and I didn't sleep. I was trying to make sure the tent stayed on the ground due to the high winds and trying to keep dry. It was pouring so hard, the rain went through our rain flap (is there a better name for this?) and I had a cold, wet thigh from the drip down the center of the tent. I ended up getting one of the two towels we brought and putting it on under our blanket. The other towel was just above our heads catching the water that dribbled in through the center of the tent where it was staked down. SuperDad was awake and holding SuperGirl, who would wake every time he took his arm off of her to roll over and try to sleep. SuperGirl also had another problem. The material on the bottom of the tent was somewhat slick and we were on a slight incline. It so happens the incline was steep enough that every time SuperGirl moved, she'd slide down to the bottom of the tent. When that happened, she fussed and asked SuperDad to slide her back up into her snuggle spot. Next time, she'll be braced with a bathmat under her or suction cups applied directly to her butt. Anywho, I layed awake and listen to 3 of the other parents chat in between wind gusts and eventually nodded off a little. Apparently long enough to miss the part where they bet on me to see if I'd be there in the morning. You see, I'm not one who cares for camping, being unprotected in thunderstorms (under large lightening rods (trees)) on top of a mountain, in the dark. So to say I was a wus is truly understating it. But, as most parents do, I sucked it up so we could make memories as a family and have lovely times to look back on. ROTFLMBO! Boy will we. SuperDad left at 5 to go home to get ready for work, lucky dog. Around 6:30, we awoke to a charming drizzle of rain, a welcome sight after the hurricane that swept through the night before. After eating breakfast, we hiked around a little and chatted it up at camp, staying warm by the fire. Hardly any of us were prepared for long-sleeve and pants weather. We sure weren't, but the kids hardly noticed. They're resillient little suckers. I asked SuperGirl in a cheery voice when she wanted to go camping again and she said 2010. I asked SuperBoy. 2009. SuperGirl replies with, "But that's next year!" Looks like we'll be breaking her in in the back yard for a little while.

All in all, it was a wonderful trip with good friends, even though they had bets on me. :)




Staring through me with it's laser beam eyes. . .




Our blurry pack of children.

Look at this little Smurf mushroom we found under the gigantic twisted tree.

The view on the way out. Same location as the very first picture from the day before.

I'd say we accomplished our mission.

3 comments:

Marina said...

Dear Jenny, look at the bright sight of your camping: you had an adventure (!!!) you'll remember for ever...:)
Wish me luck with my vacations...

Anonymous said...

Eh, yeah...I was just thinking "maybe I'll take lil pill camping every Thanksgiving and start a family tradition with the two of us". And then again, maybe not. LOL!

Anonymous said...

Gah! Where is this place? It's beautiful!